Protect your family, You Finances & Your Information!
Never give out financial information to anyone who calls you over the phone. (Example: bank account number, social security number, PayPal info, etc.)
AffordableHousing.com does not store credit cards and will never ask for your social security number. Tenants will never receive a phone call from AffordableHousing.com asking for payment for any reason or to verify personal or financial information over the phone.
Renters should always deal with landlords and property managers whom you can meet in person. Do not ever wire transfer funds to an unknown individual.
Confirm that the person you are dealing with is, in fact an Owner/Landlord, or a Licensed Agent of the property. Only deal with Owners/Landlords/Agents who will allow you to access and view the property before exchanging money.
Check with the County Assessor's office to verify that the Owner/Landlord with whom you are communicating is the actual Owner of the property.
If you have any doubts about the ownership or representation of an agent, check with the PHA before exchanging any funds.
Spot Rental Scams. Be skeptical if…
- Anyone wants a security deposit before showing you the property
- Anyone asks for a Western Union or Moneygram transfer in exchange for showing you a home or holding it for you.
- A property costs significantly less than other homes in the neighborhood.
- Owners/Landlords or Property Managers only want to communicate with you via email instead of face-to-face.
- Owners/Landlords are from another country, request a deposit to be sent to them.
Help us fight internet fraud!
Call (Toll-free 1-866-466-7328) or Email Affordable Housing if you suspect fraud.
Also, report fraud to the FTC's toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)